Trotters had their official debut during a sports carnival at what was to be named Paramatta, on 5 April 1810.
Sydney and Adelaide were the first to see the ‘tracks’ become recognised around certain streets where one or two sporting-minded gentlemen would meet and then tear off round the ‘course’. In Adelaide the enthusiastic horsemen would meet on Bay Road (Anzac Highway) which was designed with a wide nature strip on both sides.
The first official trotting carnival was held on 22 November 1919 at Jubilee Oval in conjunction with buckjumping (rodeo) carnival that was being organised under lights.
The South Australian Trotting Club was formed and held their first race meeting at Alberton Oval on 27 December 1919.
In 1919 the South Australia Trotting Association was formed (now called the South Australian Harness Racing Club).
The South Australian Trotting Association held its first Friday meeting on 7 April 1920.
In 1922 at Jubilee Oval, Adelaide, a women’s saddle race was programmed which attracted 24 nominations and was divided into 2 divisions. The final was won by Miss May Webster, a 13 year old girl. However, concerns for women’s
The South Australian Owner’s Trotting Club held its first meeting at Prospect Oval on 23 January 1924.
In 1925 the Wayville Showgrounds became a recognised trotting track.
In 1933, the State Government legalised betting for trotting and took the view that the control of the sport in SA should not be vested in any Club actually participating with meetings. Therefore, the South Australian Trotting League was established.
Adelaide hosted its first Inter Dominion Championship in 1937.
Globe Derby Park was named after one of Australia’s greatest harness racing horses Globe Derby.
Globe Derby Park was officially opening in 1969. Globe Derby Park first held its public meeting on the afternoon of June 24th, 1969.
All metropolitan harness races in Adelaide were first held at the Wayville Showground from 1934, but starting April 14th 1973, all Adelaide race meetings were moved at Globe Derby Park.
In 1973 a full betting Australian Reinswomen’s Championship was programmed. Leading reinswomen from around Australia took part in the historic race. The championship was given much publicity in SA and interstate as it was the first time betting was permitted in any state on pacers driven by women. From SA were 11 women that took part.
By 1978 women had been licensed to train drive in NSW, WA, SA and Qld.